World Cup Fever in Stuttgart, Germany

We traveled north from Zurich and arrived at Stuttgart in the early afternoon.  It was so cold outside because of the light rain. The train stopped at Stuttgart central station and we got off. The hotel was a five minute walk from there, so we decided to walk. We were staying at the Motel One. Our room was so big and had a double bed. I was so surprised that there wasn't another one, but mommy said that was because kids stay for free.  


Outside of Hauptbahnhof which is the
Main Railway Station in Stuttgart
The Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart
was a welcome start to a
very rainy day
After we dropped off our luggage we headed off to our next stop. It was the Mercedes Benz museum. It turns out that their headquarters are in Stuttgart! The museum was so big and had about 7 floors. First, we walked around the history part which told about the different methods of travel back in the 1900's. Most of the museum was just about how it changed through the years and the different models.  It was so big that we probably took four hours to get through the whole thing. My favorite car was the Papa Mobil from the 80's. The Papa mobil is where the Pope used to ride when he visited different countries around the world. He would stand and bless people as they drove along the streets.



After the museum we went to go grab some lunch. Mommy and grandma bought something at a restaurant and I bought something at McDonald's. I had been waiting for 2 weeks to get an Italian burger, but when we arrived I realized that it wasn't on the menu anymore! So instead I bought a Big Mac because I was really hungry. 

At the Mercedes Museum:
Is this a bus or what?
After we finished eating we headed to the old town. In the old town there were a lot of churches and very old homes. We took some pictures at the Schlossplatz.   

Nearby, there was the Old Palace. The Old Palace was so big and had huge towers at the front. 

Next, we went across the street to the Collegiate storehouse and the old Chancellery. 

Then, we went to the New palace and took some pictures in the beautiful gardens and the fountain. We walked around the plaza and looked at all the shops windows.   While we were walking we noticed that everyone were prepping up for the big semifinal of the World Cup.



In front of the
Stiftsfruchtkasten, or Collegiate Storehouse
Outside the Altes Schloss, or Old Palace
Late in the evening, we went to the supermarket to buy fruits and souvenirs. Our hotel was across the street so we went there to go eat some dinner. The soccer game was going to be in 2 hours and everyone was chanting on the streets and decked out in the German flag. 

I settled into a sleep but then I was woken up by screaming and fireworks. The game had finally started! Germany had just scored the first goal. I stayed up a little to watch it live from Rio de Janeiro. Germany began to score goals. First it was the second then the third and fourth goals that followed so quickly. With each one you could hear the city screaming and celebrating. Brazil still hadn't scored anything and by the fifth goal I was really tired, so I went to sleep. Germany finally won 7-1. Mommy had stayed up until the end, and she said that people were parading in their cars, honking and singing. I can't imagine what it would be like if they win the World Cup. Probably three times worse. Go Germany!  Next stop: Salzburg!

In front of the Neues Schloss, or New Palace



0 Response to "World Cup Fever in Stuttgart, Germany"

Post a Comment