Venice: I Love that Dirty Water


In front of the
Rialto Bridge in Venice
We arrived at Venice Mestre around 1 pm.  I was so excited because Venice is supposed to be really picturesque and many landmarks there are super famous. Our hotel was away from the city, in the outskirts. We walked a little from the station and before I knew it we were there! Our hotel was so pretty. The lobby had a lot of comfortable seats and you could see through the tinted glass window the breakfast room. Breakfast at the hotel cost 4 Euros and we decided to try it on the first day.  However, it  wasn't tasty enough or not worth the price, so we would just go buy breakfast somewhere else. 

Our hotel room was my favorite color purple and it had a big bathroom. However, the  shower was so tiny like the one in Nice. I couldn't walk out straight or my shoulders would get stuck between the doors. I think the reason was that there were two toilets and that took up most of the space. We settled in and had a few bites of fruit and just relaexed for thirty minutes. After those thirty minutes, it was time to go to the big city. We had to take a bus from Durando to Venice and the ride lasted about 10 minutes.

In front of the Basilica di San Marco.  It seems
that every sight is being cleaned or under construction on this trip.

When we got off the bus I couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous view. There was a big church with a blue dome, the big canals complete with the famous gondoliers, pretty buildings and the water taxi. The water taxi was like a metro kind of, but instead it ran on the water. To me it was so strange to see a boat full of people stopping at stations as if it were a train. 

Standing in front of the gondolas in Venice

Grandma and me in St. Mark's Square in Venice
First, we walked around the city and stopped to take a few pictures. Walking around in Venice proved to be really hard because you really can't find your way around unless you live there. We were stopping at maps every corner and following the old signs pointing to the famous places. Finally, we arrived at the Rialto which is a very famous bridge. It had a peculiar shape, not like an arch but more like a triangle. It had some very detailed carvings and the steps were worn with the age.

Surrounded by tourists (and pigeons)
in the main square
After the long day we were tired and hungry and of course I was the one who got to choose where we ate. I picked a small pizza place that looked and smelled so delicious. We went inside and I bought a cheese pizza. It was a little burnt but I love mine when the cheese is really crispy. We brought it back to the hotel and I ate it. I have to admit, it was one of the best pizzas I have ever tasted in my life. The other time was at Brothers Pizzeria which is back home. The crust was so full and soft, cooked to the perfection. After I was full and couldn't eat any more fruit I fell asleep.

The next morning we woke up early and went to breakfast at the hotel. The breakfast room was huge.  We didn't notice that there was a room next to it which was where we were supposed to sit. So I sat down happily and was about to get comfortable, the chef came over and moved us to the next room over, stating that that room was for tomorrow! They leave the cereal and everything outside for 24 hours? I was shocked but I kept that in mind as I served myself a small breakfast. The buffet was small...probably half the size of your dining room table. I had a measly croissant, waffle cookies and a glass of pineapple juice. I was not going to eat there again tomorrow morning.

I love sampling gelato in every
Italian city. 
It is one of the highlights of
visiting the country.
After eating, we walked outside to the bus stop were we boarded for town. Venice was in all it's splendor again so we took a lot of pictures. Today was shopping day, so I stocked up on souvenirs. I bought a snow globe, two postcards and a meringue. Meringue is like hard sugar but it is really fluffy and sweet. I picked strawberry flavor and let me tell you, it was also one of the best things I have ever tasted. 

After buying all of our goodies, we decided to go see the Piazza San Marco, because it is so famous. The plaza was immense and every building had something spectacular about it. But just my luck, the big cathedral was covered with sheets, because they were cleaning it. On the way out, I bought a gelato that was lemon and banana. It was yummy! The banana was super sweet and the lemon was sort of sour. The perfect combination.

After the long day out in Venice, we took the bus back to the hotel. I had bought a mini pizza when we stopped for lunch outside the plaza and it was so good. The cheese was really strong but not too much. We took it into the hotel room where I had my dinner of pizza and oranges. The oranges here are much  better than the ones in the US.   I ate two whole oranges last night, but sadly I developed a stomach ache. I guess too many oranges can be very bad for you! I had stuffed myself and now it was time to get some rest. Next stop: Verona!

0 Response to "Venice: I Love that Dirty Water"

Post a Comment