,
Today we made a quick stop at Pisa for a day trip on our way from Genoa to Florence. In Pisa, it was boiling hot
outside so I put on my sunglasses and we were off. We had to drop off our
luggage at the train station because we didn't have a hotel nearby and we didn't want to be carrying
it around.
| Me and Grandma on the Bridge with the town of Pisa in the background |
| I will try my best to keep the tower from falling over! |
After leaving the train station, we headed off to our first stop, the Leaning Tower of
Pisa. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it so we had to ask some police officers and they said to proceed straight ahead and across the bridge.
It seems we went "straight ahead" for a long long time, but we finally did reach the bridge. It was so pretty because the river was right below
us and the sun cast a glittering reflection. We took a lot of pictures there
then went back to looking for the tower. It was really far and we kept walking and walking
and I kept wondering " how much farther is it?" When we were about to
go ask somebody else for assistance, Mommy finally spotted it from the distance. I was so happy that we
had finally arrived.
There was a cluster of buildings - all of them were white stone or marble - and a strip of restaurants was right across from us. The Leaning Tower was so leaned that I felt like it was going to drop right over our head. It was at only a 4 degree angle, and the entire building was made of marble.
| This wire mesh is all that stood between me and the ground far below |
Just for fun, I took a picture like I was holding the tower so it wouldn't
fall down which is a really famous pose. We then bought some tickets each at 18 Euros
per person for 2 people.
While we were waiting to enter the Tower, we went to get some lunch. I got a ham
and cheese panini and a lemon fanta and grandma got a vegetarian panini. We ate
them with a lot of gusto!
Finally, it was our turn to go up in the tower. From the moment you enter, you feel as if you are tilting sideways. It turns out that there was
only stairs and you had to climb all the way to the top. The stairs were all
caved in from the hundreds of years of use. I slipped on one of them because it
was almost like a big hole.
| Standing in front of the Duomo di Pisa with the steady stream of tourists |
Upon reaching the top of the stairs, we witnessed a stunning view, but Mommy was scared because
we were so high up. The mesh are the top of the Tower there didn't look that strong and we saw some kids leaning against it as if it was nothing! I would have been terrified to do that. We took a lot of pictures from the top and then
it was time to get down.
After the Leaning Tower, we went then went to take pictures of the Cathedral and then
it was time to continue our journey to Florence and get some sleep. Viva l'Italia!
0 Response to "Pisa, Italy: Don't fall over the Edge..."
Post a Comment