We arrived in Madrid very late at night. When the plane finally stopped, and everyone took off their seat belts I leaped up from my seat and ran to wait in the aisle. When we got off the plane there was a huge crowd of people waiting in line to get out. “Oh no!” I whisper-groaned. We went through immigration and waited for luggage. After getting the luggage, we called a shuttle to take us to the hotel.
 |
| Rivers having churros and Chocolate in Madrid |
We waited for the shuttle outside and finally it arrived. We got in the shuttle and there were blue neon lights lighting the pathway. We sat down in some comfortable seats and the shuttle took off. At night Madrid looked so pretty! Lights and houses lined the roads as we drove along. When we arrived at the hotel me and grandma sat in the lobby. The lobby looked so modern. When we got the key we hurried upstairs to our room. When we got in I looked in the bathroom. When I went in my jaw dropped. I so wanted to sleep in there. I almost fell asleep but mommy woke me up and I had to go to bed. I dreamed of all the sightseeing we were going to do her as I fell asleep.
 |
| River at the Plaza Mayor in Madrid |
When I woke up in the morning I dressed and went outside. It seemed like we walked forever. We finally got in the metro station and we all got tickets and a map. We waited for the metro then got on. The metro looked a lot like the one in London but in London the seats had cushions. I fell asleep on the metro and I woke up when mommy shook me. We got off the metro and out of the metro station and went into the Plaza Mayor.
 |
| Rivers at the Palace in Madrid |
People were rushing about and some people were sitting, relaxing and enjoying a meal. The plaza was in the shape of a square with apartments above and below these apartments were stores. In the middle of this square was a yellow hut with glass windows. The floor was made of cobblestones. We started walking taking everything in. We started in a corner of the square looking at the store labels, looking for a restaurant that served churros and chocolate. We finally found a restaurant and walked in. We settled at a table and I started looking at pictures on the wall. Hillary Clinton had been in the same restaurant! When the plate landed on the table I dug in.
 |
Getting ready to attend the Flamenco
presentation in Madrid |
After the churros we started visiting shops and looking at fans, antiques and many other items. We went around the square covering almost all the stores. We walked out of Plaza Mayor - next stop Palacio Royal.
When we arrived at the palace, the first thing we saw was the grand palace and its beautiful features. Securing the palace was a grand gate with black railings and gold carvings. Neighboring the palace was a huge cathedral Catedral de Almudena . We took many photos and I climbed among the railings peeking through the bars to get a glimpse of the people inside the palace gates.
 |
| Rivers enjoying the ham and paella after the show |
That night we went dancing....the best part of Madrid was the flamenco show we saw called Carmen. Flamenco is a type of dance popular in Spain. I did not understand the play’s meaning but I enjoyed the drama, action and dancing.
After the play we went to the plaza mayor again this time buying a meal (spaghetti, paella and ham). After the delicious meal we went back to the hotel to get some rest.
 |
Rivers and Grandma outside the
bullfighting ring in Madrid |
In the morning we stopped at the local bakery and had a delicious breakfast. After that we went into the city to see Plaza de Cibeles and the Museo del Prado. We also went to the bullfighting ring, the Plaza de Toros. We went to a big park Parque del Retiro and played at a fountain and a playground. We also went to El Corte Ingles which is a store where I bought some flamenco music as a souvenir and Mommy got some dvds and music.
After the the park we went to play in the playground which I had discovered the day before while waiting for the flamenco show to start. That night, we went back to the hotel to get some sleep because Rome was on its way.
0 Response to "The Mother Land on my Mommy's Side"
Post a Comment